Application details at a Glance
Who can apply?
All researchers interested in getting engaged on topics related to Digital Earth can apply for a STSM. Applicants can come:
- from inside Digital Earth for visiting another Helmholtz centre,
- from inside Digital Earth to invite an external colleague for visiting at least one Earth & Environment centre, and
- from inside Digital Earth for visiting centres outside the Helmholtz Association (national/international).
In case you'd like to host an STSM and propose a topic, please send a brief notice to dhenkel(at)geomar.de or other members of the STSM Steering Group and the preferred start date of the STSM.
What is funded?
STSMs should have a minimum duration of three working days and a maximum duration of two weeks. The STSM Grants do not necessarily cover all expenses related to undertaking a given mission. A STSM Grant is a contribution to the overall travel, accommodation and meal expenses of the Grantee.
However, the calculation of the financial contribution for each STSM must respect the following criteria:
- Up to a maximum of EUR 2 500 in total can be afforded to each successful applicant;
- Up to a maximum of EUR 160 per day can be afforded for accommodation and meal expenses.
In general requirements and rules are as stated in the “Bundesreisekostengesetz BRKG”
How to apply?
The application will be evaluated based on the scope of the submitted STSM that must be clearly linked to one or more of the Digital Earth objectives. The application should be written as a short scientific/technical proposal considering the following:
- Aim of the cooperation and direct link to Digital Earth activities,
- Specific scientific/technological questions and goals to be addressed,
- Short description of the respective state of research/technology,
- Envisioned output and benefit for the individual and Digital Earth,
- Short budget plan.
Applications have to be send to Dr. Daniela Henkel (dhenkel(at)geomar.de). Applications submitted will be reviewed within one month by the Digital Earth STSM Steering Group. The latter will perform a scientific and budgetary assessment of the applications considering the Digital Earth objectives and define an acceptable funding level.