WELCOME TO DIGITAL EARTH
Towards SMART Monitoring and Integrated Data Exploration of the Earth System - Implementing the Data Science Paradigm
Significant advances in Earth system understanding will only be achieved through better integration of data and knowledge from the different Earth science disciplines and Earth compartments. Improvement in this field strongly depends on our capabilities of dealing with fast growing multi-parameter data and on our effort employing Data Science methods, adapting new algorithms and developing digital workflows tailored to specific scientific needs.
Digital Earth has been strategically initiated by all eight centres of the Helmholtz research field Earth and Environment (E&E). Digital Earth is funded with EURO 5 million plus EURO 5 million co-financed from all eight E&E centres. The project is coordinated by GEOMAR Helmholtz Centre for Ocean Research Kiel. Digital Earth is directly linked to two other HGF initiatives MOSES 'Modular Observation Solutions for Earth Systems' and ESM 'Earth System Modelling'.
General Concept of Digital Earth to enable a holistic view on the Earth System as a whole.
More information on contents of Digital Earth are available here.
If you are interested in the project proposal, please download here.
- Digital Earth 2nd Annual Meeting Report 2020: Click here to see what has been achieved in 2020!
- Digital Earth Annual Report 2019: See what has been achieved in 2019 here.
- Invitation Public Online Session - Gain insights into activities and results of Digital Earth on Tuesday May 26th 2020. For details see here.
- Digital Earth Summer School has been postponed due to COVID-19. New date 15-20 March 2021.
- 26-28 May 2020 Digital Earth Annual Meeting. Click here for the program.
- 27-28 February 2020 MOSES – DANUBIUS – DIGITAL EARTH Workshop at GERICS, Hamburg, Germany. Click here for the program (in German).
- 28-30 January 2020: 2nd Digital Earth Interim Meeting at GFZ, Potsdam. For more information click here.
- 7 November 2019: Kick-Off event for MarDATA Helmholtz School for Marine Data Science